Sunday 29 January 2012

Montane

Planning any form of adventure, will usually involve reviewing your kit and upgrading, replacing or just simply getting a new item.  I’ve been trying to make do with most of what I already had, but some of it is simply well beyond its useful lifespan. Working in an outdoor store, does have its benefits in terms of getting staff deals on kit but that doesn’t make up for the fact that the salaries are awful, so buying new gear can still prove to be expensive.

Take for example my old cycling jacket – so old now, it’s actually faded quite significantly and makes you sweat more than a fat lad in a sauna eating a vindaloo.

Over Christmas when Ann and myself were in Chamonix, I tested  out a down jacket and some winter trousers for Montane.  Despite the European sounding brand name, they are a British company based in Northumberland.  Both of these garments really were top quality, full featured garments.  If you’re likely to be belaying in cold climates, then the North Star down jacket really is something I would wholeheartedly recommend.




With that in mind, I thought I would chance my arm and see if they had any test kit available from their cycling range, or indeed, a jacket that hadn’t met the grade in terms of their quality checking.

Some companies will just trash your emails and not bother replying, and then there’s companies like Montane.  Not only did they very kindly agree to give me a new cycling jacket, but they also showed genuine interest in what I’m doing and actually wanted to keep up to date with the training, how I’m getting on physically and psychologically and see any photos.  It's refreshing to find a manufacturer that makes clothing that outdoor users need and who are actually interested in what folk are doing in the outdoors!!

Check out their website and see all the goodies they sell.  There is also details of various exciting events and expeditions, so if you are an adventurer yourself, or even an armchair adventure enthusiast, there’s loads there to inspire and while away an evening.  And none of that Bear Grylls ‘playing at adventure’ nonsense either !!

So I’d like to publically say a massive thankyou to the guys and gals at MONTANE for the jacket.  I hope you keep up to date with our trip, and I’ll let you know how I get on with the jacket.

http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/shell/velocity-dt-jacket/246

No comments:

Post a Comment