Wednesday 11 January 2012

Ooooohhhhhh my arse hurts

Had a chat with Andy on Monday night and we discussed the possibility of starting the adventure a month earlier.  We've tentatively agreed to head down to Lands End on the Thursday before easter and start the tour on Good Friday. 
I say tentatively, as I now have far less time to try and find the finely honed athelete that lurks within.  I haven't seen him for many years now, I know he's still inside, but he'll be stubborn when it comes to revealing himself.  In fact that leaves just 11 weeks.  FECK  11 weeks !!!

It's sort of scared me a little.  We've been working on the basis of taking it reasonably steady on the ride - maybe average 70 miles a day.  It doesn't sound a lot, but don't forget we'll be dragging all out own kit along with us. 

I'm weighing in at 14 st 4lbs, much the same as when I was playing rugby all the time, but now just a little more rotund !!!  hopefully I'll shed a stone or so before the ride, which will make up for part of the weight of the towing of the the trailer, but I need to be able to comfortably stay in the saddle for about 6 hours a day doing a reasonable speed.

Jury service was for me cancelled - my name was fortunately not picked out for two of the court sessions, so it gives me an opportuntiy to get a few rides in.  So Tuesday was a 23 miler out to North Queensferry after I got back from the courts.

Today was just shy of 50 miles as I headed out to Linlithgow.  I chose to cycle along the Union Canal which proved to be a slow and rough journey - not only was the path just a mud track, but it was scattered with the branch and twig remnants from last weeks storms.  I had to even negotiate 4 trees that blocked the path.  Under, over and around !!!  Progress was slow and very bumpy and clearly the reason for my very sore arse tonight.

It leaves me with a bit of a sense of dread though.  I'll have to do about half of that journey on top of todays slog on a daily basis for about 15 days. 

Is 11 weeks going to be long enough - that's what will be playing on my mind

No comments:

Post a Comment