Wednesday 8 February 2012

Cycling in the freezer

I thought I'd put in a decent ride today, especially as it looked like it was going to be reasonable weather, so I planned a 60 miler along the coast towards Dunbar in East Lothian.  This was going to be the longest training ride to date.  I was waiting around all morning as my new indoor turbo trainer was being delivered - more about that later.

I set off at 12.30 having just feasted on a tin of baked beans and sausages - the food of kings !!!!  All went well - apart from the cold.  Out until the turnaround point, all was fine, but then the cold really started to get into me.  The temperature was only about 1 degree above freezing, as evidenced by patches of frost and ice on the way.  Again I was cycling at an average of 15mph, so after checking out my 'wind chill ready reckoner' I was effectively cycling in minus 12 conditions - much the same as a freezer I guess.

Undoubtedly, this cold affects the body more than cycling in warmer climes.  With about 20 miles still to go, I really was feeling the effects of the frigid air.  I was chilled to the core, hungry, tired, my legs felt like lead, and generally I was not enjoying it.  I just wanted to get home and in the bath.  more food and energy gels were not working.  I was completely sapped.

The strange thing though was that my legs still kept pumping away.  I've been trying to keep the cadence up over the last few weeks, concentrating on keeping a good rhythm and correct gear choice rather than just powering through inclines and windy weather.  This has definitely helped in just being able to be knock out the miles and keep going.  So whilst I really didn't enjoy the cold and energy sapping conditions, I was heartened by my ability to just keep going.

And back to the indoor trainer - I think that if the temperature is the same as it was today, and I plan to be out on the bike for 4 hours again, then it'll be indoors rather than out. !!!!

On a good note - I cycled past Bass Rock in the Forth - something I'd never seen before, which is overlooked by Tantallon castle - it really is a lovely part of the world along here.



Oh - and did I mention I was cold !!

No comments:

Post a Comment