Wednesday 22 February 2012

Happy Birthday to me !!!

Well - after Monday, the cold got worse.  I even got up for work on Tuesday, showered, got ready and then felt so rough as I was about to leave the house that I went back to bed and stayed there all day.  One thing I did manage to check on though was some of the daily distances we will be cycling, and I've modified a few places where we might stay to equal the days out a little.

Today is my birthday however, and so I've made the effort to get up even though the lurgy is holding firmly on.  I did get my pressies delivered today from my gorgeous wife Ann.  I say 'pressies' as they were paid for out of her ebay account, although I ordered them myself, but she can have all the credit for getting them ;)

So after a bit of fitting and setting it up, the BEAST of BURDEN is now nearly ready for action with new panniers and handlebar bag




It was only when I was taking the photos, did it dawn on me that I have matching handlebar bag, pedals and panniers - it must be my feminine side coming out !!!!!

It has been a little bit of a tricky decision as to what bike to ride.  The speed merchants will obviously go for the racing bike, lightweight, fast bumpy ride, watching the tarmac with their head down all the way and normally having their luggage transported by a van in support. 

Now I do have a lightweight trialthlon bike but that has carbon forks and carbon seatstays, so is totally useless for carrying panniers, but I've used it before cycling around the Scottish Islands towing a trailer and it worked very well.  But a 1000 miles towing would be a different ball game, so I've opted for the trusty mountain bike - and it's looking like a true workhorse now.

There's still a few jobs to do on it.  I've made some bespoke mudguards, I have some slighly skinnier slick tyres for it, and with the addition of an adjustable stem for the steering, I think I'll be great - maybe a little heavier than some bikes, but I know it will be comfy.  I'll have to think of a name for it - so any suggestions welcome !!!

Ann said I should get a new cycling top as well - now would I look daft with a red and white king of the mountains top on though - hmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment