Wednesday 11 April 2012

Badger county

Today was supposed to be a day of showers, heavy at times, and slow moving due to little wind. Another Micheal Fish type weather report as we only got caught in a five minute shower and the winds and sun have been battering our faces. In fact, we sit here in a lovely pub (Black Swan in Hollinfare near Warrington) with faces glowing like a pair of lava lamps.

In fact this is the second pub meal of the day, as we've had a productive day in terms of distance, gaining 30 miles on our planned route by taking a few short cuts.

Andy continues to chat incessantly, and today I learnt about his first big cycle trip, the precise route, destination and the bike he was riding (Raleigh Arena) all aged 11 and 3 months. I am wondering if he'll finish his life story by the time we finish the trip. Hopefully an abridged version will follow.

As we cycle through all the counties and towns, we have not come across a single hill, mountain or molehill that Andy has not had a race up and down. I am loving the full story of race position, where he stayed, the car he drived there in, what he had to eat and the weather. I cannot describe the disappointment I had today, when we came across the first hill to the east of our route that he had not climbed - it took over 400 miles to find it and I missed out on another tale. Gutted.

One thing we should have been a little more careful at recording, is the road kill count. Badgers topped the league today. We must be up to 25 badgers, 4 rats, 10 crows, 120 pheasant and I've really lost count on rabbits.

Which speaking of rabbits, Andy has named his bike Rabbie - hopefully something to do with the fact he bought it from Scotland rather than something vibrating all day between his legs - I wondered why he was smiling so much.

Peeing at the roadside has become a comfortable event, and as I have a few years on Andy, there is a sort of expectation that 'at my age' I would need to pee more. Andy doesn't however take a pee during the day which I find unusual. I think I am cycling with a water retaining desert geko.

My knee has been twinging a little yesterday and today, and I have finally managed to get Andy to carry a bit more of the joint kit - like the tent. I was chuffed to bits that he was going to carry something at last, until he handed over the stove, pans, fuel, the rest of the food and even some of his clothes. Ok, I lie about the clothes, but he may as well have handed them over , I'm carrying just as much as before !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment