Saturday 21 April 2012

Is that the Arctic I see ahead?

Well, after a very welcome rest day we managed to drag ourselves away from the bar in the clachaig inn and get on the road again. The weather as we left glencoe was superb, and we quickly got up to Fort William and started up the Great Glen way.

Once up past Fort Augustus, we hit Loch Ness. The first time Andy looked over to the water and said "quick look, is that something in the water", it was funny. The second time amusing. By the 65th time it was really grating on me, and I contemplated if Nessie might fancy a 'Thatcher burger' but I'd forgotten to pack a mincer !! Note to self - consider all eventualities in future when creating a packing list !

We stopped in Drumnadrochit, where we discovered that a pony and trap were also making the journey North, I envied the comfort of a carriage.


After my new tyre purchase, I quickly noticed that it would not bed in properly, even inflating it to concrete levels of firmness it would not pop out on the rim. Consequently, it was running with a flag spot. Is that a problem, I hear you ask? Well if you consider that I have ridden over 200 miles now where every 2 meters you get a bump pulsing up through the saddle, then yeah - I can tell you my arse is very tender. Ann arrived last night to follow us in the van for the last couple of days run in to John o groats, and brought a spare tyre with her. The 47 miles today were a pure pleasure with a smooth running wheel, despite the tyre being a monster sized mountain bike tyre !!!! Andy is now saying my bike looks like the Frankenstein of the cycle world, with a monster rear wheel and a skinny front wheel. I think it looks like a dragster ! Andy keeps joking that if we bump into any other cyclists heading south, they'll look at my steed and say 'and you've cycled here on THAT!!!!'

The back wheel really is possessed by the devil, so much so, that were it not for the fact that I hate littering, I would cast the effing thing into the sea at John o groats. And griping even more about the bike, the bottom bracket is knackered too now, despite that only having done about 2000 miles since new. The journey really does take its toll on man and machine.

We stopped in the crask inn today on the way up to the north coast. A very strange experience at first, as the guy, who was just in from delivering a very tricky lamb invited us into the kitchen where it was warmer for a brew. We ended up chatting like old friends for about 45 minutes. It's amazing the hospitality of people we have met along the route.


Whilst I have been updating the blog (when we get appropriate signal !) Andy has been writing notes on a piece of paper. It dawned on me today the lengths he continues to go to in getting me to do all the carrying. Despite me never using the biro, he will still insist on me carrying it in my handle bar bag "as he knows where it is then"- its bloody 5 gramms - carry it yourself man !!!!!

Tonight we are in Bettyhill, right up on the North coast of Scotland and have just over 50 miles to go tomorrow to get to the end. I'm not sure how I will feel when I get to the end, but I'll gather my thoughts and let you all know I've the following days.

Photos to come tomorrow of us beaming no doubt at the top. and I know for a fact that Andy just can't wait to be back in Bristol with Donna and the kids on Monday. And there was me thinking I had been a great cycling and tent companion !

No comments:

Post a Comment