Tuesday 10 April 2012

Plodding north

So this morning, we got up early, packed our now dry kit, and headed to sainsburys for a lovely breakfast roll to start the day off well.

We then headed out to get my back wheel sorted. If anyone happens to be in Hereford and in need of cycling expertise, then I can thoroughly recommend calling in to see Nigel, at Mastercraft Cycles in Bridge Street. A traditional proper cycle shop, and he went out of his way to do a repair straight away. We're now plodding happily onward with a true and straight wheel.

On the trip, we have numerous bits of shared equipment, the main items being the tent and the stove and pans. Up until today, I have been carrying the tent, and Andy the cooking equipment, but because I had been a little wary of the weight on my temperamental wheel, Andy took the tent and I carried his sleeping bag. He immediately was texting his mate to moan about how he was carrying everything. Then he once again insisted I went in the front again so I could watch out for potholes more easily. I sense there's a theme to this trip. I wonder if he's elusive at front running when he's out with the rest of his cycling buddies!!!!

After yesterday's big 92 miler, we wanted a slightly easier day, so headed directly up to Shrewsbury. We got supplies and found a campsite just to the north of the town. Bizarrely they had no toilet facilities, so sent us away, even though I announced I was carrying a poo shovel !!!!!! So we found another site a few miles further on with a pub just around the corner ;-(

A couple of young chaos from Perth are on the site too, heading to lands end ! They had to put up with 2 inches of snow 8 days ago in John o groats - lets hope it's all melting fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment