Sunday 8 April 2012

Pounding out the miles

Today we hit the road a little earlier at 8:30 and rather than go via Exeter, opted for a more direct but 'lumpy' route North up over Exeter hill.

I must admit, after another massive hill right from the off, I thought we had made a mistake, but within a couple of hours, things had levelled, we entered Somerset and everything became flat. A very satisfying 82 miles completed and we're celebrating with a couple of beers (the first of the trip) and a hearty meal in Rodney Stoke not far from Cheddar. In fact a big thanks must go to the Inn which has a camp site attached to it, as we are camping free tonight as a gesture to the charity.

A few things of concern today which I thought I would pass on to you avid readers

I love pie and pasties which many of you will know, and Andy has now also adopted the trait as well - devouring pork pies on a daily basis as eagerly as a vampire might sink its teeth into human flesh!!!!

For some reason, whilst discussing the route today, I called Andy 'Hun' - he looked at me very strangely with a look of dread in his eyes. I wonder if I may push my luck by giving him a good night kiss tonight !!!!

We don't have an exact route plan, and are sort of making it up as we go. Today I made our first navigational error. A learning point is not to navigate in the centre of town by the sun - "it must be a right turn as the sun will be behind you" does not in fact mean you are heading North at Midday, when in a one way system in Taunton !!

My tactics of farting as we ride, to try and get Andy to take his turn at the front is no longer working. He now quietly drafts along with earplugs up his nostrils !

Continuing North tomorrow - crossing into Wales over the Severn Bridge by late morning - weather looking poor, but our happy smiling faces will brighten the day

1 comment: