Friday 30 March 2012

Heading South

Today I spent the day packing my kit, and getting the car loaded up before I head south tomorrow.  I'm planning on having a couple of days catching up with folk down in Bristol, before Donna buses me and Andy down to Cornwall on Thursday.

So careful planning has reduced my kit down to the essentials, but as we are cycling unsupported and camping on route, there's still a lot to take.


On top of this, there will be food supplies, but hopefully, as we will be shopping on a daily basis as we go, for most of the journey we should only be carrying a days worth of food.  There are a couple of stretches in Scotland, further up in the highlands where we may have to plan for a couple of days, as there will be no places to restock as we go.

After I had got everything packed up, I did a swift 25 mile ride.  I took the lighter Marin bike, and headed out to North Queensferry.  I did actually feel strong today.  I'm not sure if it was because the bike is lighter, or because all this training has paid off - the latter I hope, but I did the trip in just over 1.5 hours.  This was my fastest time yet, so my confidence levels are high tonight.

Dad said to me the other day that he had been wondering how many pedal strokes I would be making throughout the trip.  This is obviously dependant on which gear you cycle in, but taking the middle front chainring, and the middle ring on the rear cassette as a rough basis for the gear I may be cycling in, and without boring you with the calculations, the number of pedal strokes will be roughly 420,000.  Hmmmmm - perhaps some nurofen for the knees may be needed !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment