Wednesday 14 March 2012

Isn't it a bit f***ing cold for cycle touring.......

I'd just pitched my tent in the Creag Meagaidh nature reserve and a guy wandered over questioning my timing for cycle touring in Scotland.  Fortunately, I had brought one of my warmer sleeping bags, as the mercury did drop to near freezing during the evening.

This was a big trip for me mentally.  For a while now I've been mulling over my ability to do the distance day after day.  Additionally, there's the issue of carrying a huge amount of kit needed for an unsupported end to end trip.  This was always going to be a burden to swift pedal powered progress.

So my 2 day trip was planned.  I decided to drive north with the bike and all the kit I would be taking on the tour, park up and head up into the highlands for a good hilly 2 day test.  This would be consecutive days, in mountainous terrain and loaded up.  This would really test my mettle.


Here's the bike fully loaded.

The route out of Blair Atholl where I had parked is level at first and then slowly climbs uphill for about 15 miles up and over the Drumocter Pass.  The main road North through the East of Scotland is the A9 and this pass is the highest point of the route, regularly affected by road closures due to snow during the winter.  Fortunately, there in another great national cycle route which runs alongside the A9 to keep cyclists clear of the dangers of the traffic.

The clement weather of late meant that I needn't worry too much about the foreboding nature of the sign warning early season cyclists !!!!




Once over the top of the pass, the route climbs again around the back of Dalwhinnie before descending around to Laggan.  All of the way up, progress was slow but steady, hampered by a headwind, but once over the pass, the wind switched direction to give me a gentle helping hand.

By 4pm I was pitching my tent and getting organised after cycling 50 miles, and I was pleased with the day - a hilly route, fully laden and done in 4.5 hours.


After a huge meal, I was in my sleeping bag and sound asleep by 8:30 !!!!  Going to sleep at this time does however mean that you wake earlier, so by 4:00 am I was already rousing.  I managed to drop off to sleep again for a while, but by 5:30, I was up as the day was dawning, drinking coffee and making porridge.  After more coffee and striking camp, I was on the road again by 7:30 retracing my route back to the car.

The hills out of Laggan and back up onto the plateau proved to be more challenging, being shorter but steeper.  Within an hour though, I'd done the worst of it, and pushing on into Dalwhinnie, I knew it was downhill all the way.  3 hours 15 mins later I was back at the car - it's amazing what 15 miles of downhill can do for your speeds !!!

So whilst there's still a few weeks of training still to go, still some long days in the saddle to be put in, I feel buoyed by the 2 day test run.

As to that leather Brooks saddle -yep - I think things are definitely improving as to comfort.  I'm not convinced it's molding into the contours of my arse though, more like my arse is molding to the shape of the saddle !!!

I spoke to Andy today, and he too is putting in the miles and getting good distances under his belt.  He talked about a great sports massage he had been given and how it had done him the world of good.  I may get a little concerned if I find out he's added a bottle of baby oil to his packing list !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment