Thursday 22 March 2012

summer commeth

The last couple of days here in Edinburgh have been superb, with hardly a cloud in the sky.  I took the opportunity to get out on both days doing a 62 mile ride East yesterday and a 60 mile ride west today.  As I sit here typing this up, my legs do feel pumped up and a little knackered, but I would be happy to jump on the bike again tomorrow. 

When I do these big distances, I do feel constantly hungry though.  Andy has promised me that he is a nutritional guru, and that he'll be ensuring we get the daily calorie intake into us.  I do really hope that it's not all about carbs and protein balancing.  I'm sure I can balance everything with porridge, pies and beer, but I'll let Andy work his magic !!!

So many of the plants are in full bloom now - the Daffodils are out, as are the tulips, cherry blossom, azaleas etc and I've even seen the odd bumble bee making its merry pollen collecting round.
Unfortunately, it also brings the annoying swarms of flies that I inadvertently cycled though today, gulping in a mouthful of them just as a whale shark might do as it patrols the oceans sucking in plankton.  I tried to extradite them from clinging to my tonsils by clearing my throat as a 40 a day smoker might - the woman on the pavement clearly thought that cycling was not doing me much good !!!

Even though the sun was out, there's still a chill in the air, and I've been returning from my rides with a reddish weather beaten face, so I'll really be needing to remember to slap on the moisturiser when we're on the trip - yep - us modern men do moisturise you know !!!

I have a week left before I head down to Bristol prior to the trip, and I still hope to get out for a few more rides, but I have a busy weekend, so may not do any big rides.  Hopefully I've done enough to condition the legs enough for what is to come - only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment